What's Going on Now

Happy summer!

Thanks so much for stopping by! Read some blog posts, look at some of the information in the pages, sign up for the newsletter, or just say you were here. Want to ask a question or make a suggestion? Go for it. You can also follow me on Twitter and Facebook. I'd love to get to know you!






Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Limiting God

5-20-15

God is big. I mean really, really big. Infinitely big. And that's something that, as mere people, is hard to comprehend. If I could put a soundtrack on this blog post it would be Christina Perri's "Human". When our reality is that overwhelmed sense of only being able to take just so much of what life flings our way, it's far too easy to forget that God is omnipotent. All powerful. Nothing is bigger or stronger or more powerful than God. Do we let Him be big? Or do we unconsciously put Him in the same box we must accept fitting into ourselves? 


Do we limit God's help? 1 Peter 3:12 says, "For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, And His ears are open to their prayers; But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.” God watches us always, and He listens when we are ready to talk. Psalms 121:1-2 says, ​"I will lift up my eyes to the hills—From whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth."

I have a confession to make. Sometimes I don't ask for help. It seems I have quite an independent streak, and sometimes it's good. But sometimes it gets me in trouble. Earlier this week I tried to assemble a weed eater. Bear in mind that I have experience in assembling, including a grill and a couch which was shipped in a box. Both do work, by the way. So I thought, it's a weed eater. How hard can it be? An hour and fifteen minutes and a tantrum later, I was forced to call the store and ask for help. Doing that really bothered me. Because it meant I wasn't good enough. There was something I couldn't do. 

When are we ever "good enough?" Why should we assume that we are super people and we can do everything on our own? The Bible doesn't say that. It does say, in Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Yes, we can do all things. But how? Through Christ. Not alone. With help. 

Next thought. Do we limit God's forgiveness? Are there things people have done to us that we cling miserably to? Do we stubbornly recite to ourselves a litany of our personal flaws? Neither of these is forgiveness. Jesus forgave the people who crucified Him... While He was being crucified. If He can do that, surely we can forgive what other people have done to us. Not asking God to forgive us, or quietly thinking maybe He won't, limits God. It's saying He isn't capable of dealing with the beings He created, when in fact only He can. See Psalms 103:12: "As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us."

Now, what about God's love? Do we let ourselves be loved? Do we really bask in the assurance that the Father appreciates us for our potential and wants to love us out of our imperfections? God has chosen us to be His children. Christ is our brother, and together we are heirs of Heaven. How cool is that? God cares so much for us that He brings us into His family. Zephaniah 3:17 says, "The Lord your God in your midst,The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing." Imperfect people that we are, God knows us and loves us perfectly. 

One of my favorite verses is Ephesians 3:20, which says, 
"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us." It doesn't matter what it is, God has it under control. Which means we don't have to. Which, honestly, means we shouldn't try to. Enjoy the fact that somewhere out there is Someone who loved you before you were born and loves you still, even knowing every single thing you've ever done. Enjoy that this Someone wants to help you through life and forgive you. Enjoy these things, and let Him. 

May the Lord bless and keep you,

Heather 

2 comments:

  1. I love you, dear friend :) Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reading and commenting! I love you too friend :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here! Cooks love to see second portions taken, and bloggers love to see comments/follows/shares. It lets me know you were here and liked what you saw! Or that you cared enough to tell me you didn't like it... So, chime in and tell me where you stand.