What's Going on Now

Happy summer!

Thanks so much for stopping by! Read some blog posts, look at some of the information in the pages, sign up for the newsletter, or just say you were here. Want to ask a question or make a suggestion? Go for it. You can also follow me on Twitter and Facebook. I'd love to get to know you!






Sunday, February 21, 2016

On My Way



2-21-16

I usually listen to music on my drive to and from work. This Friday morning as I was rolling through dawn in the mountains, a song came on the radio I had only heard once before. And because I was in that kind of mood, I got a little bleary eyed. Just like those adopt a puppy commercials, but that's a story for another day.

The song was Temporary Home by Carrie Underwood. It reminded me that this life isn't our long term plan. We are here on our way to somewhere else. It's like a very long layover. Much as we enjoy life, this isn't our destination.

Christians have something magnificent to look forward to. I Corinthians 2:9 says, "But as it is written: 'Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.'" Heaven can't be described or understood in human language or intellect. Just think, Jesus is up there right now getting it ready for us.

I used to think about leaving this life with deep regret. Not because I didn't think that Heaven would be great, but because of the many blessings we have here. 2 Corinthians teaches a different attitude: "We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord." I think that that change in mindset takes some time for us to mature in. It doesn't mean that we shouldn't enjoy life, but our focus doesn't need to be here.

When someone is a citizen of a country, it means that that is the place they recognize as home. Although I am a citizen of the United States, this isn't my true home. Philippians 3:20 says, "For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ." Even though we haven't been there, we belong to Heaven.

There are still a lot of things I want to see and do here, but I'm looking forward to the destination of this journey. I can't wait to talk to Joseph and ask him about ancient Egypt. I want to run for miles without worrying about my right foot cramping. One of the first things I'm going to do, though, is find my dad. Our loved ones who have died in Christ will be there with us, and God wants us to have confidence in that.
"But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord." - I Thessalonians 4:13-17
 There is so much to look forward to. If God intended this world to be a pit stop on the way to eternity, how awesome is Heaven going to be? Let's live every day giving the most we can to this life to get ready for the next one.

May the Lord bless and keep you,

Heather

*Disclaimer: The above picture was taken by me from the passenger seat in 2013. No laws of the road were broken in the taking of this photograph. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being here! Cooks love to see second portions taken, and bloggers love to see comments/follows/shares. It lets me know you were here and liked what you saw! Or that you cared enough to tell me you didn't like it... So, chime in and tell me where you stand.