What's Going on Now

Happy summer!

Thanks so much for stopping by! Read some blog posts, look at some of the information in the pages, sign up for the newsletter, or just say you were here. Want to ask a question or make a suggestion? Go for it. You can also follow me on Twitter and Facebook. I'd love to get to know you!






Sunday, August 3, 2014

Rejoice in Rainy Days

 

6-28-14

I’ve never really minded rain. Even when I was in college, walking between classes with my umbrella that kept my hair dry but still let my jeans get soaked up to my knees, it usually didn’t bother me. Of course, I didn’t particularly enjoy sitting in wet socks and tennis shoes trying to focus on a lecture while the air conditioning educated my toes about the meaning of wind chill. But I noticed something; I tend to notice odd things. Rain somehow made everyone take themselves less seriously. Some people would be grumpy. But many people would be quicker to offer a stray greeting or casual remark as we shook rain off umbrellas outside front doors of the large brick buildings. With brightly colored circles dancing across campus, it looked and felt like a different place. All in all, not a bad trade off.


Several years later, I still don’t mind the rain. On days I don’t need to leave the house it is almost like an invitation to slow down for a bit. To let the busy hustle of life put itself on pause for a short time. To sit inside, look out, be with the ones you love, and listen to the sound of gifts from heaven drop one by one tapping on roofs. I also think of something my dad once said: “Stop complaining; someone smarter than you sent that rain.” It’s true. Matthew 5:45 says, “That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.” Rain is a blessing, and God doesn’t just share it with those who are choosing to follow Him. He sends it for everyone.

For those of us who garden, whether flowers or vegetables, a good rain becomes even more precious. When the tomatoes and corn start to droop and the prospect of a good harvest becomes a bit precarious, a steady summer shower is music to the gardener’s ears. Rain is a provision of God to help us meet our most basic needs.

Psalm 104 gives a beautiful perspective on nature and our Father’s tender care of it. I highly recommend the entire chapter, but verses 13-14 I’ll include here: “He watereth the hills from his chambers: the earth is satisfied with the fruit of thy works. He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth.” The Psalmist appreciated rain, and remembering this attitude, I think, will help to keep things in perspective.

I have never been particularly fond of thunderstorms, however. Frankly, they scare me. I like the way it is put in The Sound of Music when one of the children asks their governess, Maria, why the thunder sounds so angry. Maria replies, “The lightning says something to the thunder, and the thunder answers back.” Ensue song and dance to the tune of My Favorite Things. You musical fans out there know what I’m talking about. What Maria doesn’t point out is that God’s voice has been compared to thunder. Job 40:9 reads, “Hast thou an arm like God? or canst thou thunder with a voice like him?” So I sometimes like to think to myself that the thunder is what God's voice sounds like.

So when God sends us sunshine, let's enjoy it. And when He sees fit to send rain, let's enjoy that too. Because we exist in His tender care. Let us never forget that, and let us rejoice even in the rain.

May the Lord bless you and keep you!

-Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being here! Cooks love to see second portions taken, and bloggers love to see comments/follows/shares. It lets me know you were here and liked what you saw! Or that you cared enough to tell me you didn't like it... So, chime in and tell me where you stand.